This is a simple recipe that’s perfect for any meal. It’s a Paleo version of a BLT with the added kick of a fried egg. You can add some Paleo-friendly mayonnaise to get the full experience. Wilderness Family Naturals makes a great organic mayonnaise that’s made with olive, coconut and sesame seed oils. Its only drawback: it does have a bit of added evaporated cane juice. Homemade mayonnaise (recipe follows) is also an option. Otherwise, this wrap is great with a touch of mustard.
Total Time to Make: 10 minutes
- 2 slices nitrate-free, pasture-raised bacon
- 1 organic, free-range egg
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large leaf organic romaine lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mustard or mayonnaise
- Heat pan over low heat.
- Add two slices of bacon and fry until they are cooked to desired doneness.
- Turn the heat up to medium and crack the egg over the two slices of bacon.
- Top with the chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook egg to desired doneness.
- Spread mustard or mayonnaise on the romaine leaf and lay the egg on the lettuce.
- Wrap the lettuce around the egg, secure with toothpicks and enjoy!
Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise
An electric whisk makes this recipe a breeze, but it can be done by hand, too. Just prepare to use a lot of elbow grease!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon. salt
- ¾ cup olive oil
1. Whisk the first five ingredients in a bowl for about 30 seconds.
2. Add ¼ c. oil to the bowl in a steady stream while whisking constantly.
3. Repeat with another ¼ c. of oil.
4. Add the final ¼ c. of oil at once and whisk until completely incorporated.