Greek Chicken Burgers with Lemon Zucchini, don’t expect a hamburger with this recipe–chicken burgers are a bit more dry than hamburgers, but they take on flavor much better than ground beef. They also don’t require a binding agent (aka flour and egg) and they stay together beautifully. Chicken is the perfect template for Greek flavors and these burgers go beautifully with a side of blanched zucchini. Both the burger and zucchini are flavored with a touch of fresh lemon juice, making it a refreshing and light dinner.
Total Time to Prepare: 40 minutes
For the burgers:
- 1 chicken breast
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. canned artichoke hearts
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Avocado, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and fresh greens, for garnish
For the zucchini
- 2 zucchini, peeled and finely sliced (use a mandolin if you have one, otherwise a carrot peeler works)
- 4 c. water
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. In a food processor, combine all of the burger ingredients except for the garnish.
2. Form patties out of the mixture.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp. coconut oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add the burgers.
4. Fry until brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and fry for 2-3 more minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow burgers to cook through completely (5 more minutes or so).
6. Meanwhile, bring the water for the zucchini to a boil.
7. Place the zucchini slices in a colander and pour the boiling water over, blanching them.
8. Allow to drain well. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
9. Once the burgers are finished, serve them on a bed of fresh greens. Top with sliced avocado and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
10. Serve zucchini on the side.