There’s something positively primal about a rich, chunky stew of assorted meat simmering on your stove, even in the most contemporary kitchen. Chili, with the added factor of tropical spice, lends an aura of energy that’s kindred to the paleo spirit. But aren’t a bunch of beans supposed to complete chili, to break through the texture of the beef? Of course not! You can achieve just as much variety with a few sticks of celery; and it’s better because the vegetable has a more distinctive taste and proportionately higher fiber content.
Actually, all you really need for beef and chorizo chili is a little planning ahead. The cooking takes time; but it delivers a mouthwatering mingling of flavors that is a great power-upper at any time of the day, ideal winter comfort food and easy to store as a dinnertime condiment.
Total Time to Make: 8 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 pound beef roast (minced or cubed)
- 1/2 pound Chorizo Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 table spoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 15 ounces of tomato paste
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a large skillet, add the coconut oil and cook the beef and Chorizo until they’re brown.
- Add the celery, onion, tomato paste, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder.
- Pour everything into a slow cooker, cook on low for about 8 hours.
You need very little oil for the beef and chorizo; the meatballs’ natural fats are released during the browning process and the coconut oil just adds in some of its lauric acid. Be aware of your meat though; use beef from animals that have been pasture-grazed. Also, get hold of fresh chorizo. You don’t need it to be spiced and cured because the eight hours of heating cooks it through for you anyway. Most importantly, don’t be put off by the waiting— sometimes, the paleo culinary experience isn’t about quick fixes but about letting the essences of nature time to be at their best. There you have it, fresh paleo beef and chorizo chili. Enjoy!