The great cupcake debate has, for some, become the great cupcake divide. The question “vanilla or chocolate?” is one that has stumped even the most eager pastry-fiend. In this paleo version of the classic cupcake, you’ll find yourself at the crossroads once again, with the choice to add in raw cacao powder or to let the vanilla stand alone. Of course, you could always prepare the entire batch, pour half into the muffin tray and add the cacao to the remaining batter for a perfect 50-50 balance. Either way, the choice is entirely yours. Enjoy these coco-nutty paleo cupcakes with a light, creamy and fluffy coconut whipped cream frosting.
Paleo Cupcake Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Make Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 cupcakes
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (or more if you want it sweeter)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
Coconut whipped cream frosting
- 13 ounces coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Raw honey (for extra sweetness)
- Open a can of coconut milk and place it in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or overnight. This step ensures that the milk’s cream separates from the water and thickens (and who wouldn’t want a rich and creamy frosting?)
- Once it has been in the fridge overnight, the water will be resting on the bottom of the can and the separate thick coconut cream will be on the top.
- A bowl by your side, use a spoon to scoop out the thick (and nearly solid) coconut cream, making sure to not get any of the water. Place the cream into the bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and honey (if using). Use a mixer to whip the frosting. You know it’s ready when you’ve got fluffy frosting!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine together all of the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda, shredded coconut and cacao powder if you decide to use it).
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine together the wet ingredients. Crack and whisk the egg until it is fluffy. Add the coconut oil, coconut milk, honey and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir very well to make sure that all the ingredients mix in together to form one uniform batter.
- Place paper muffin cups into each hole of the muffin pan.
- Using a spoon, pour the batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden with brown edges. Poke a toothpick into the center of a muffin and see if it comes out clean. If it does, then it means that they’re ready.
- Remove and let the cupcakes completely cool before topping them with frosting.
- You can sprinkle finely chopped nuts or shredded coconut on top of the frosting-topped cupcakes.
These paleo cupcakes are quick and easy to whip up. With the deliciously creamy coconut frosting, you will definitely feel like you’re giving yourself (and your sweet tooth) a well-deserved, indulgent treat to munch on. Double the batch and spread the joy by sharing with friends, neighbors and loved ones.