Depending on how busy I am for the week I might make a batch of paleo egg muffins. This usually saves me 20 to 30 minutes any day I feel like enjoying some scrambled eggs and bacon (who doesn’t like bacon?). This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and probably for weeks if you freeze it (not recommended).
If you work an office job then you can easily pack 2 to 3 of these muffins in Tupperware and have a quick and convenient lunch. Or serve them as a side dish for dinner. Too much protein? No problem just add more coconut flour and it’ll start tasting more like a traditional “muffin”. No need to worry about the muffins falling apart as soon as you pick them up (like most gluten-free baked goods), the eggs in this recipe works great as a binder.
Paleo Egg Muffins
Total Time to Make: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini, shredded, strained and drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the bacon, eggs, salt and pepper, coconut flour, and zucchini in a bowl.
- Grease a muffin pan with the coconut oil and pour the batter from step 2 into each well.
- Place 2 halves of the cherry tomatoes into each well.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
What makes Paleo Egg Muffins “Paleo?”
- You’re using coconut oil to grease your muffin pan instead of high omega-6 content vegetable oil.
- Your bacon (or pork bellies) doesn’t contain preservatives or additives. This is why I just buy sliced pork bellies and “cure” it myself as I cook it with salt (I don’t use any sugar to “cure” the pork bellies).
- The eggs are organic. If you can’t find organic eggs then it’s OK to use regular eggs.
- You use coconut flour (unsweeten) as your starch instead of general purpose flour. General purpose flour is usually made from grains.
- Check out the Paleo diet food list to see what you can and can’t eat while on the Paleo diet.
And don’t forget to check out more Paleo recipes.