Paleo egg salad is one of those dishes that will taste great whether it is kept true to its simplicity, or layered with additional complementary ingredients. You can add in as many vegetables as you like; some great veggies include potato, celery, green bell peppers, and scallions. Pairing eggs with sausage or chopped bacon keeps it simple while packing major protein. This recipe is made with deliciously creamy paleo mayo, which I highly recommend preparing as paleo garlic mayo, with a couple garlic cloves thrown in.
Paleo Egg Salad
Prep Time: 45 minutes
- ½ green bell pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- ½ – 1 teaspoon mustard, to taste (or Dijon mustard)
- Paleo Mayo (see recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 baked potato, diced
- ½ celery stalk, chopped
Paleo Mayo Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-3 garlic cloves for garlic mayo (highly recommended!)
- To make the mayo, put all of the mayo ingredients into a blender. Blend (maximum 1 minute) until the oil turns white and it begins to look like mayo. With the blender off, use a knife to stir it around. When ready, place into a bowl or small container.
- Cut up all vegetables and place into a large bowl. Add in chopped hard boiled eggs.
- Add in the paleo mayo, putting in as much or as little as you like. Stir well to incorporate fully into the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If adding baking, cook bacon, chop it up into bits, and add it in to the salad before serving.
Enjoy this dish alone as a salad, or as a sandwich with fresh paleo bread or zucchini bread. You can also try stuffing it into tomatoes, bell peppers or other vegetables. These dishes are paleo-friendly, picnic-perfect and packed in protein. Egg salad is great to take as lunch in the office or to eat in between classes. It is also suitable for picnic outings, excursions to parks, beaches and mountains, and just about any occasion you can think of!