Paleo gravy is such a delicious and complex sauce that’s perfect poured over hot mashed potatoes, French fries, and mixed into mash covered shepherd’s pie. But the Paleo-ized version of the cuisinal classic needs equally primal accompaniment. The quick simmered onions, red wine, beef stock, rosemary and mustard compliment mashed cauliflower, sweet potato roasts, and Primal shepherd’s pie just as well. In fact, you’ll be looking for grain-free ingredients to sop up this delicious dip lickety-split. Try it on for size, ‘cause food-love covered in beef gravy comes in all kinds.
Total Time to Make: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or ghee)
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz beef stock
- 4 oz red wine
- 1 teaspoon organic mustard
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Heat medium pan over medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Thinly slice onions and add to pan. Sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beef stock and wine. Reduce heat to low and simmer until stock is reduced by half volume.
- Add mustard, rosemary, thyme, pepper and salt. Stir over heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot over meat or veggies of your choice.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Gravies are just as versatile as dressings and sauces. There’s almost nothing you can’t cover or smother with this deep, beefy gravy. Try it on sweet roasted carrots, asparagus, onions, and of course that fantastic classic roast beef.