Jerky is fairly easy to make Paleo, but may be a bit daunting just to make if you don’t have the proper equipment in your kitchen. You’ll need a standard dehydrator to make this leap into dried, seasoned meats. All kinds of spices make this mandolin-thin sliced beef a renegade marinade. Fish sauce, garlic, onion, cayenne, ginger, mustard and cinnamon jump in the pool, just to name a few. Leave it overnight to permeate, then rinse, and leave in the dehydrator to desiccate. Okay, I was reaching for a rhyme there. But essentially super low and super slow is what we’re going for here. Even more so than barbecue. This snack is a day and a half in the making, and well worth the wait!
Total Time to Make: 4 hours 10 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes*
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 2 lbs lean cut beef (London broil, flank steak , etc.)
- 2/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Place meat in freezer for about 1 hour. Remove and slice into 1/8 inch strips with a sharp knife or mandolin. Set aside in container.
- Add coconut aminos, vinegar, fish sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, ginger, mustard and cinnamon to small pot. Bring to a slow boil while stirring. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- *Pour warmed marinade over the sliced meat. Toss to coat all pieces. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove meat from refrigerator and rinse in colander under hot water.
- Lay meat flat in single layers on dehydrator trays. Do not overlap.
- Sprinkle on red pepper flakes to taste.
- Set dehydrator to 160 degrees F for 4 hours. Jerky is done when the outside of the strip cracks when bent.
- Let jerky cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
- Store in airtight container with paper towel to absorb moisture.
This jerky is time and taste safe for many moons to come. Just keep it airtight and moisture free, and you’ve got an almost never-ending treat. It’s chewy and tender and hits the spice and salt spot. Crack one slab in half and get snacking.