If your parents didn’t raise you paleo and you grew up eating potato chips, Cheetos and other food items that come from shiny, crinkly bags, you may find it hard – or mildly challenging – to leave these foods behind once you´re all grown up. Of course, having delicious foods that serve as nutritious substitutes makes changing your diet a much easier task. Here you’ll find a quick and ridiculously simple recipe for making paleo kale chips that can help you in your transition to a healthy diet and serve as a foundational, cornerstone go-to snack. You can season them as you wish – keeping it simple with good ole’ sea salt, or you can get fun and fancy with chili powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder or garlic powder. Modifications for making salt & vinegar kale chips and zesty lemon kale chips are also included below.
Paleo Kale Chips Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, olive oil or coconut oil
- Sea Salt
- Additional seasonings: black pepper, chili powder, curry powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Vinegar (If you want to make salt & vinegar kale chips)
- Sesame seeds or grated cheese for post-baking garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the kale leaves from their stems.
- Under lukewarm water, wash the kale very well so that you remove all the dirt and debris that gets stuck and hides in the leaves.
- Dry the leaves in a salad spinner or, if you don’t have one, pat the leaves dry using paper towels. Take special note that in order for the kale chips to turn out crispy, the kale has to be super dry when it’s put in the oven. It is imperative that you dry them well!
- Chop the leaves into smaller chip-sized chunks.
- Toss the leaves with the oil, salt and any seasonings that if you like. Mix well, making sure that all the chips are evenly coated. If you want to add lemon for zesty chips or if you want to make salt & vinegar kale chips, add in the vinegar or lemon juice here as well and toss. Make sure to massage the seasonings into the kale with your fingers.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Place the kale chips onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Once the oven has preheated, pop in the baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes until the chips are crispy and the edges of the leaves have browned. Some parts of the leaves may still be soft, and this is okay. (Note: if you added in lemon juice or vinegar, they’ll take longer to cook since they’re wetter. Expect them to take about 20-25 minutes). Don’t just leave them and forget them! Make sure to keep an eye on your kale chips as they cook, because they’ll taste bitter if they burn or are over-cooked.
- When they’re nice and crispy, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Optional: Sprinkle with grated cheese, sesame seeds or any extra seasonings once they’re done cooking.
These healthy chips are made from everyone’s favorite superfood vegetable: kale. Enjoy them as a healthy afternoon snack or alongside a lunchtime meal. These kale chips are great for taking along on picnics or packing into lunch bags. Season and serve them as you wish for a light and healthy snack that offers you nutrients while giving you the pleasure of snacking on their crispiness.