These luscious, paleo lemon bars are one of my favorite Paleo desserts. A tender crust and a zesty filling are a great way to end the day or crush those midday snack cravings. Coconut flour, eggs, vanilla and fresh squeezed lemon juice combine with fresh ground nut flour of your choice to make the base. Then a tapioca and coconut flour thickened egg custard flavored with loads of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest are naturally sweetened creating an unbelievably amazing layer of tart and sweetness. Balanced and bold, this sweet Paleo treat will satisfy your sweet tooth without the sugar high or carb crash.
Paleo Lemon Bars
Total Time to Make: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup raw nuts (cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, etc.)
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 cage-free eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cage-free eggs
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour (or arrowroot powder)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raw honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat square baking dish with coconut oil, or line with parchment.
- Add raw nuts to food processor or bullet blender and process until finely ground. Add remaining Crust ingredients to food processor and pulse until dough comes together.
- Press dough into bottom of the baking dish, and slightly up the sides.
- Dock crust with fork to prevent bubbling.
- Place crust in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs, lemon juice, fine lemon zest and sweetener with hand mixer or whisk. Sift in coconut flour and tapioca flour. Beat to combine.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. Beat mixture again until smooth.
- Pour Filling over par baked crust and bake 15 – 20 minutes, until the center is set but still slightly jiggly.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, until set and chilled.
- Serve chilled or room temperature.
Paleo Lemon Bars are a great abasis for other flavors. Many varieties of citrus and sweetener can take the place of lemon, or play companion. Try adding flaked coconut to the filling. Or using lime juice and zest. Even a coconut milk and orange bar would please those summertime creamsicle-seeking taste buds.