Paleo mashed cauliflower is great if you’re trying to lose weight, because going low-carb or no-carb is one of the faster ways to shred some pounds. What if you’re craving some mashed potatoes or trying to avoid it because you know you’re allergic to nightshades? Then Paleo mashed cauliflower is a great substitute. Personally I enjoy this recipe more than regular mashed potatoes.
Paleo Mashed Cauliflower
Total Time to Make: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the cauliflower into 3 inch pieces
- Boil the cauliflower until it is fork tender.
- Place the cauliflower, oil, salt and pepper into a food processor and puree until smooth.
This recipe pretty much compliments any dish (Paleo or not) very well. It’s tastes great and is “filling” because of it’s high fiber content, but because it doesn’t have a high GI it won’t send you crashing 1 to 2 hours after your meal.
What Makes Paleo Mashed Cauliflower “Paleo”?
- You’re eating a low GI (glycemic index) starch (cauliflower) instead of higher GI potatoes.
- You’re using coconut oil as the fat instead of butter. Butter or ghee would actually be fine if you’re not lactose intolerant.