This paleo orange chicken recipe is made from fresh, zesty and flavorful ingredients that fuse together for a delicious, authentic-tasting orange chicken dish. It is made from paleo ingredients and it is gluten-free, dairy-free and free of refined sugars. Raw honey is added in for that distinctive sweet taste, and you are free to choose to add in as much or as little honey as you like. In this orange chicken recipe, chicken pieces are breaded in almond flour and cooked in coconut oil before being submerged in the freshly made orange sauce. For this recipe, tasting your oranges before you embark on the cooking adventure is a good idea. The taste of your oranges – be it summer sweet or tartly sour – will determine, in large part, the taste of your orange chicken. In this sense, you can also use tangerines or clementines as you try to strike the perfect balance of sweet and sour.
Paleo Orange Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 1 hour for marinade
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos, liquid aminos or tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- Coconut Oil
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- ¼- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos, liquid aminos or tamari
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-3 tablespoons raw honey (for desired sweetness)
- Sesame seeds or finely chopped green onions for garnish
- Pat the chicken dry and cut it into small pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Mix the marinade of ginger, aminos/tamari and sesame oil and place into a ziplock bag with the chicken pieces. Place in the refrigerator and marinade for at least one hour.
- Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl.
- Place almond flour in a separate plate.
- Take a piece of chicken and dunk it into the egg mixture. Then, place the eggy chicken piece into the almond flour plate and coat it with flour evenly on both sides. Shake off any excess flour. Repeat with all the chicken pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil has heated up, add in the chicken pieces (there should only be a single layer of chicken in the pan) and cook the chicken pieces on both sides until golden and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Place on plate when done cooking. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
Orange Sauce & Chicken
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and half of the orange zest. Cook them for a few minutes until golden (but before the garlic turns brown).
- Add vinegar, orange juice, honey and aminos or tamari. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked breaded chicken pieces into the orange sauce. Stir to mix well, making sure all the chicken gets coated with the sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, chopped green onions and/or remaining orange zest.
Serving this paleo orange chicken dish to your (paleo and non-paleo) friends will have them begging you for the recipe. This dish pairs well with a bowl of egg drop soup on the side or a serving of fresh raw or sautéed vegetables. Enjoy this dish for a special family dinner or take it with you to a friendly potluck get-together.