Paleo pesto is a great “sauce” or seasoning for seafood and vegetables such as zucchini, carrots, and onions. Normally pesto is made with pine nuts, which is great but can get expensive which is why I decided to have a 50/50 mix of pine and macadamia nuts.
This pesto is also non-dairy, so there is no Parmesan cheese; although if you’re not lactose intolerant and you’re in the dairy-is-ok-Paleo-camp then go for it.
If you’re making this dish for the Paleo Diet Plan then keep in mind that 1/2 of this recipe is for 1 serving.
Total Time to Make: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup sweet basil
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy with your favorite dish!
Why is Paleo Pesto “Paleo?”
- No cheese, this is a cheese-less version. But like I stated above, if you’re not lactose intolerant then add some Parmesan.
- The olive oil is extra virgin, which means it’s hasn’t been processed to the moon and back like some other oils.
- You’re eating nuts but in a moderate amount. Most nuts have phytic acid, but macadamia and pine nuts have relatively low phytic acid content.