There is nothing more traditional than good ole’ steak and eggs than probably Paleo steak and eggs. In this recipe, caramelized onions are a sweet accompaniment and a touch of paprika is added to the eggs for extra flavor. If you’re trying to lose weight then when choosing your steaks, go for the leanest cuts that you can find. Look for sirloin, tenderloin, filet mignon or flank steak; these cuts have lower fat content than others.
Prior to cooking, the steaks are rubbed with freshly cut garlic, which gives it more depth and flavor. The steak’s seasonings are kept simple with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. This will make the taste of the paprika-sprinkled eggs really pop. A mouth-watering layer of deliciously tender caramelized onions is spread on top of the steaks, followed by the eggs. With two eggs to each steak, this is one protein-packed Paleo dinner!
Paleo Steak and Eggs
Total Time to Make: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 lean steaks of your choice (sirloin, tenderloin, filet mignon and flank steak are all acceptable)
- 4 eggs
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3-4 tablespoons of clarified butter, tallow, coconut oil or lard
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: Raw chopped garlic to top
- If your steaks have been in the refrigerator or freezer, place them on a plate and let them come to room temperature. This may take anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours. This will allow for more even cooking and a shorter cooking time, which will leave you with juicier steaks in the end.
- Cut your onion into thin slices.
- Pat your steaks dry and season them with sea salt and black pepper. Cut the clove of garlic in half. Rub the garlic all over the surface of the steaks.
- Heat two skillets over medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to one of the skillets. Add the sliced onion and sprinkle some sea salt and black pepper on top. To help the onions caramelize and to prevent them from sticking, make sure to stir them as they cook. They will take about 10-15 minutes to fully caramelize.
- Heat oil in the other pan. Add the steaks, cooking 3-4 minutes on each side (adjust cook time to your tastes). Remove from pan.
- Add more oil if needed to the same pan. Crack the eggs into the pan. Add sea salt, black pepper and paprika to the eggs. Cook for a few minutes, adjusting the cook time to your preferences. Turn off heat.
- Top the steaks with a layer of the caramelized onions.
- Top each steak with two eggs. Serve.
Optional: Finely chop some fresh garlic and sprinkle it on top before serving.
If you find that this meal is too heavy for the evening, it can easily be cooked in the afternoon as a protein-rich lunch. Also, adding the fresh garlic on top is optional, but it’ll provide you with garlic’s healing, therapeutic benefits: fresh garlic is known for its antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This dinner is packed with the protein that your body’s muscles need. Its flavors are simple, but deep and satisfying.
What Makes Paleo Steak and Eggs “Paleo?”
- You’re cooking with coconut oil instead of corn or other vegetable oils.