Strawberry Arugula Salad: Whenever I pay a visit to the local farmers’ market I make sure to pick up a bundle of arugula and a basket of strawberries to make a salad. The tartness of the arugula and sweetness of the strawberries really compliments each other well; a perfect side dish for any main dish.
Strawberry Arugula Salad
Total Time to Make: 20 minutes
- 2 cups torn fresh arugula (or more, you may eat unlimited leafy greens)
- 1/2 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nuts, crushed or chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil (or MCT oil), orange juice, balsamic vinegar, grated orange peel, ground ginger, salt and pepper. Whisk all the ingredients for 15 seconds or until it’s all well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the arugula, strawberries, macadamia nuts, and red onion.
- Pour the dressing from step 1 into the mixed greens in step 2.
- Toss the salad and enjoy!
Why is Strawberry Arugula Salad “Paleo?”
- Your dressing is homemade, which means it doesn’t contain high fructose corn syrup, which many commercial dressing contain.
- The “crunch” texture for the salad is provided by the macadamia nuts, which is gluten and low carb when compared to normal “crunch” such as croutons.