Before going Paleo I never even had the urge to create the backbone of my fajitas, soft tacos, quesadillas and burritos. Standard wheat and corn tortillas are such a staple of the SAD (Standard American Diet) that store shelves are lined with all kinds. From low-carb to whole wheat, a package of these flat Spanish bread-stuffs are available on every corner. But once you take a walk on the wild side and give these amazing, wheat- grain- and gluten-free Paleo Tortillas a try, you’ll never want to go bargain hunting in the Ethnic Foods Section of your local grocer’s again. Your ancestors would be proud, and you will be more than satisfied when you wrap these tortillas around your favorite savory meat and veggies.
Total Time to Make: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 tablespoon flax meal (or ground chia seed)
- 2 cage-free eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat medium frying pan over medium-high heat and coat with coconut oil.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut oil and 1/4 cup water in medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend coconut flour, almond flour, flax or chia meal, and baking powder.
- Whisk as you slowly pour flour mixture into the wet ingredients. If batter appears too thick to spread fairly thin in pan, add up to 4 tablespoons of water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Use a ladle or dry measure cup to pour equal portions of batter into hot oiled pan, one portion at a time. Tilt pan in circular motion as you pour so batter spreads thinly.
- Cook batter for about 2 minutes, or until slightly golden and firm. Flip tortilla with tongs or spatula and cook another 2 minutes. Remove and place on paper towel or parchment.
- Cook remaining batter for 2 minutes on each side. Re-oil pan as necessary.
- Fill warm tortillas with meat or veggies of choice and serve warm
These Paleo Tortillas are the perfect platform to build Spanish-inspired treat. Assemble a 7-layer burritos, roll a chicken taquito, grill a zesty lime and cilantro fish taco, sauté a savory beef fajita, or hot pressed a sold almond cheese and bacon quesadilla. All amazing options. All from one little flatbread. ¡Delicioso!