This is a great summer side dish–it would go wonderfully with a steak or chicken breast cooked on the grill. Searing the Brussels sprouts gives them a great smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet ingredients. The first version is made with frozen sprouts cooked on the stovetop, but read on to find out how to roast fresh Brussels sprouts on the grill for even more flavor.
Total Time to Make: 20 minutes
1. Bring water to a boil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the Brussels sprouts and bring the water back to a boil. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently; drain.
3. Heat the frying pan over medium-high heat until it’s dry. Add the coconut oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Add the Brussels sprouts.
4. Fry, stirring frequently, until browned (about 4 minutes). Add the vinegar and maple syrup and cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Add the cranberries and walnuts and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
Alternative: Grilling fresh Brussels sprouts
Note: Use olive oil instead of coconut oil if you’re going to grill.
1. Heat grill to medium high (about 400-450 degrees).
2.Wash 1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts thoroughly. Slice each sprout in half.
3. Pat them dry and spread on a baking sheet. Pour some olive oil over the pan and, using your hands, coat the sprouts in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Put the Brussels sprouts on skewers. Place on grill and, turning frequently, grill until browned (about 10 minutes).
5. In a pan on medium-high heat, combine the rest of the ingredients and heat until liquid is slightly reduced and all ingredients are warmed. Stir the mixture in with the sprouts in a large bowl and enjoy.